A perfect work lunch or post-class salad.
GF : DF : SF : VEGAN
- 1 large eggplant, cut into chunks
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons ginger pickle
- 1/4 cup cucumber pickle
- 1/4 cup red onion pickle
- 3 tablespoons peanuts, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1/3 cup coriander leaves picked, chop the stalks and add if desired+
- Lemon wedges and tamari or sriracha (optional)
- 1 cucumber, finely sliced
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
PICKLED RED ONION:
- ½ red onion, finely sliced
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup water
Preheat oven to 200C and line a large baking tray with greaseproof paper. Place eggplant on tray, drizzle with olive oil and a pinch of sea salt, toss, then pop in oven to cook for 40 minutes or until golden. Make the pickles while the eggplant is cooking.
RED ONION PICKLE: Combine all ingredients in a bowl, cover and set aside to pickle. Any unused pickle can be stored the fridge for 4 weeks.
CUCUMBER PICKLE: Combine all ingredients in a bowl, cover and set aside to pickle.
When ready to serve, arrange the eggplant on a large serving platter, top with the pickles, sprinkle with peanuts, sesame seeds and coriander leaves, season with some sea salt and pepper and serve as is or add a big squeeze of lemon and a drizzle of tamari or sriracha.
This delicious recipe was provided by Sydney nutritionist and author Jacqueline Alwill, @brownpapernutrition.