A go-to self-care tool, research shows that infrared saunas can boost healing, reduce stress and lower chances of cardiovascular and lung disease, and help relieve a myriad of mental health issues.
Regular sessions may reduce the risk of stroke, high blood pressure, heart attack and even death drop by 37 – 83 percent. Frequent visits have also been associated with a reduced risk for dementia and Alzheimers.
What is an infrared sauna?
Infrared saunas use a special thermal light which penetrates our joints, muscles and tissues to increase oxygen flow and circulation, and remove harmful toxins.
How do far-infrared saunas compare to traditional saunas?
Traditional saunas create heat by pouring water over hot rocks to create steam. It’s usually a pretty hot and humid experience! Far-infrared saunas on the other hand are dry saunas and will bathe you in a soothing, comfortable heat while giving the same benefits. This means you can spend more time in an infrared sauna compared to a traditional one.
Health benefits of infrared saunas
1. Infrared saunas for detoxification: Sweating is one of the body’s most natural ways to get rid of unwanted toxins we’re all exposed to in today’s modern world. When compared to traditional saunas, infrared saunas release up to seven times more toxins – helping our bodies find balance and operate at a more optimum level.
2. Infrared heat for chronic fatigue: Trouble sleeping or waking up tired? Infrared saunas have been proven to give a similar benefits to moderate exercise, which helps us calm down and fall into a deep REM sleep. Studies have also shown that infrared saunas can even improve chronic fatigue syndrome – a condition that affects around 150,000 of us in Australia alone.
3. Infrared heat to ease muscle pain: Infrared heat soothes inflamed muscles and reduces aches and pains in the body. It has also been reported to speed up the healing process for injuries.
4. Infrared saunas for weight loss: Yes, that’s right. The heat from an infrared sauna raises your core temperature which leads to an increased heart rate. This in turn means we burn more calories, resulting in weight loss. The Effect of Sweating article in the Journal of the American Medical Association found that 30 minutes in an infrared sauna can burn around 600 calories.
5. Infrared saunas can purify your skin: When we eliminate toxins from our pores and increase blood flow, our skin tone naturally improves and increases in smoothness, clarity and firmness.
Ready for an infrared sauna session? Check out the times available in the studios!