These power-packed bars are perfect for breakfast on-the-go or a healthful mid-afternoon treat.
You can substitute the greek yoghurt for coconut varieties to make these completely vegan, or switch out the rolled oats for gluten-free oatmeal.
- 1? cups (250g) Blueberries
- 1 cup (25g) puffed quinoa*
- 1½ cups (135g) rolled oats
- ½ cup (40g) shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp white chia seeds
- ½ cup (140g) cashew spread
- ½ cup (125ml) maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup (140g) natural greek-style yoghurt
- 2 tbsp icing sugar sifted
- 1½ tbsp coconut oil, melted
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Place the blueberries on a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper and cook for 35–40 minutes or until they have burst and dried a little. Set aside to cool.
- Place the quinoa, oats, coconut and chia in a bowl. Place the cashew spread, maple and vanilla in a medium saucepan over high heat. Cook, whisking, for 5–6 minutes or until thickened slightly. Add the quinoa mixture and stir well to combine. Add the blueberries and gently stir to combine.
- Using the back of a spoon, firmly press the mixture into a lightly greased 20cm square tin lined with non-stick baking paper. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes or until firm.
- To make the yoghurt drizzle, place the yoghurt and sugar in a bowl and use a hand-held blender to blend until runny. Add the coconut oil and blend until just combined.
- Remove the tin from the freezer, slice into bars and top with the yoghurt drizzle. Return to the freezer for 30 minutes or until set. Serve. Makes 10–12.
+ Puffed quinoa is simply quinoa that has been cooked to give it a light, crisp texture. Find it at health food stores and some delis.
TIP: You can store the bars in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer for up to 1 week.
This recipe is from Donna Hay’s latest issue of Fresh + Light.